Here’s a partial list of things you may need to do before or during your move. You may think of other tasks as well. Make a list and add to it when new ‘to do’s’ occur to you. Check off tasks as they are completed. Being organized is one of the best ways to make your move go smoothly.
- Inform your housing office and landlord of your move and your expected date of departure.
- Notify your electric, cable, and telephone companies of your change of address.
- Contact your insurance provider about your moving/storage coverage regarding your vehicle, house, and household possessions.
- Be sure to fix any auto problems your car may have prior to moving.
- Drain all fluids from power and yard tools.
- Dispose of flammable products: cleaning fluids, paint, oil, and fireworks.
- Talk to your child about moving and his/her concerns about the new location.
- Verify the new school schedules and enrollment requirements for your child.
- Fill out a postal change of address form.
- Complete a change of address form with the IRS.
- Be sure to have copies of important documents before hand-carrying them to your new home.
- Personally carry your finance, medical, and dental records with you.
- Prescription medication should be kept in the original bottle and other medicines should be held in spill proof containers. Be sure to get refill prescription slips prior to traveling.
- In case of an emergency, be sure to provide a relative or friend with your travel route and contact information.
- Check one last time to make sure you did not forget anything, especially in drawers, closets, garage, and attic.
- Observe loading and unloading, and inspect all items before signing a receipt.